Saturday, July 9, 2011

party on the Parkway

This year for fourth of July, Eric and I packed up our granny cart with snacks and libations and headed down to the parkway to join the festivities.  This was the first time Eric had ever been to the parkway on the 4th,  and I was excited to see how he would react to the experience.  The madness that is "the parkway" is a rite of passage for all Philadelphians. 

We found a great spot, under a tree, not too far from the stage.  We were next to a group of college kids that cared way more about getting wasted than seeing The Roots, although they claimed that was the main purpose for them being there. 

We saw some interesting sights as we waited for the acts to begin...a conga line and a boy in a tree...

The prize for most patriotic outfit went to this gentleman.....
Bonus points for the retro Iverson Jersey!!

There were a few surprises...Boys to Men sang a bunch of their old hits....which brought me straight back to Middle School!  One of our intoxicated neighbors was punched right in the face...he said he deserved it!  And I danced to Michael MacDonald, Earth, Wind and Fire, and The Roots like I was a flower child at Woodstock...which I guess isn't really a surprise, because I do that all the time when I have a few cocktails.




The night ended with a great fireworks display and a long walk home.  We both had a wonderful time on the parkway....and might even do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment